4.03.2011

Check out what I scored!

I was driving home from picking up some groceries last weekend and I saw a sign for an estate sale just 1 road up from our house. Now, if you know me, you know I love estate sales. I have kinda been in an estate sale rut though since moving because the ones around here are just not as good. I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a shot since I can walk there. 

I'm not going to lie, it was a sketchy sale that was not being run by an estate sale company or anything, just family members. Going through dead peoples stuff while in their house is strange enough but when their family is there well, it adds an element of awkwardness. I'm ready to leave after 1 minute of being there and I spot this beauty on a table.
As soon as I touched it the oldest female family member jumped all over me telling me about the machine and insisting it was a great find for me. I thought at first that I must not work and they really want to get it off their hands especially for the price of $25. Well, she proceeded to plug it in a show me that everything worked. It's probably a good time to tell you that I have NEVER before touched a sewing machine or even seen one on and actually sewing. If it was broken/missing key pieces I would need down the road I would have no clue. But heck, $25 and it's awesome, I'll take it!

I get my car and come back and the lady has included what she called "gifts" for me to go with the machine. She was referring to those items I would have not known I needed till down the road. Cams, needles, different feet, and TONS of replacements parts. But, that's not it. She also gave me a pile of fabric and patterns from 1960s and the original instruction book. Man, I scored! {Check out the price, $289.95 back in 1966!} 
So, I get home and I am giddy beyond belief. I feel like I got a treasure of a sewing machine and it has history. I realize it's from 1966 and I feel even more giddy thinking that I have a real antique on my hands. Then, I open the manual and I find this inside.
This is the original "deed" to the machine signed by who I assume is the husband of the lady who used this machine. Holy smokes, this is a REAL antique people! Now I'm feeling all nostalgic and like I better make some dang good use out of this machine and then pass it on to family members down the line. 

Well, yesterday I went on the adventure of trying to use it. I figured out how to do a zig-zag stitch and a regular one but, lets just say that this took me 3 hours to figure out with the majority of the time figuring out how to thread the needle, wind a bobbin, and get the string from the bobbin to come out of the hole underneath (there's probably a more technical term for that but oh well). But man, I loved every minute of it an am so excited for my next learning experiences!

Anyone have any tips, suggestions, and first timer advice for me?? I would much appreciate any words of wisdom for you pro sewers out there!
post signature

2 comments:

  1. ok if it was $290 in 1966...that is one HECK of a machine! great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo my dear!!!

    Advice:
    Be sure to keep your fingers away from the needle when sewing. It can go through them. Love you, Grammy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me giddy! Thanks so much!